April 19th


Riverside Rovers are the new champions of the Premier Division. They went into their game at home to Poringland Wanderers knowing that three points would guarantee them the title. They got off to a flying start when Jordan Rocastle took advantage of first minute hesitation in the visitors makeshift defence to score from close range. Poringland though began to settle and were awarded a penalty after a foul by Riverside keeper Dom Fahy. After a lengthy delay before the kick was taken, Fahy then saved the spot kick. Soon after goals by Aaron Kay and Rocastle put the home side further ahead and that’s how it stayed until after the break, when Fraser Rankin reduced the arrears with a good finish. This produced a good spell for the visitors and a couple of decent chances went begging, but as the game moved into injury time a Zak Bevis goal and a last kick of the game strike from Kay gave the final score a look that was slightly harsh on the visitors.  That won’t matter a jot though to the champions. Great credit goes to Rovers who have won their various divisions every season since joining the league, the only side ever to have done so and is a feat that will take some repeating.

Congratulations go to Bungay Town who clinched the Division 2A, title after goals by Marcus Strak and Steven Thompson-Friend helped them to a 2-0 win at DCS Rapid. Aslacton will go into the play off final on May 3rd on the back of a 2-0 win at Norman wanderers Res. The prolific duo of Dean Mortimer and Justin Womack were the men on target. Windmill Wanderers ensured that they finish the season in third spot after a good late run. Aaron James scored twice whilst the other goal came from Tony Palmer. A “perfect” hat trick from Dale Simpson, a hat trick of penalties from Calvin Butler and an Ashley Burton goal put Bell Inn into the play off final as they finished runners up in 1B thanks to a 7-2 win over St Faiths. Sprowston Wanderers completed their season with a 5-2 victory over Acle Rangers Res.

A Michael Townsend hat trick and a Tom Cushing brace helped Costessey West End lift the 2A title, as they beat Norman Wanderers A 5-2. It’s been a good effort by West End in a competitive division and follows up last season’s title success. Shipdham Rangers scored five (Mark Alibone 2, Joe Rooney, Troy Bond, Jack Flynn) without reply as they beat Bungay Town Res, whilst the final game for The Cottage ended in a 1-1 draw at Ketts Tavern Wizards. Gianni Gherardi scored for Tavern who also praised The Cottage keeper for two fantastic saves.

In 3A, Mischief’s Steve Toomer scored six of his side’s fifteen goals against Westfield FC. Theo Chamberlain 3, Craig Cutting 2, Ed Myers, Matthew Payne, Luca Elia and a first of the season for Phil Johnson were the others on target, whilst GaGa completed their fixtures with a 6-2 (Gordon Horine 2, Sam Aldis, Aaron Sodah, James Wheeler 2)  win at Tasburgh Utd. Well done to Hickling Barn who took second spot in 3A after a 2-1 win over Hethersett Ath Res. Knowing that only a win would be good enough, Hickling fell behind to a Steve White goal in the first minute, and although they were made to work very hard by the visitors, they eventually came back to win 2-1. There were goals for Ryan Gray and Alex Meek as Salhouse Rovers Res ran out 2-0 winners over Cellar House.

Congratulations go to Hellesdon Youth, who claimed the Benevolent Cup with a 4-0 win over North Walsham. And in the final game in the C Division, Newton Flotman were 2-1 (Craig Thompson, Billy Kelly) winners at Mulbarton Wanderers