April 24th


A double from Jordan Rocastle to add to an early Jamie Atkins header has put reigning champions Riverside Rovers within touching distance of retaining their title as they beat challengers Schoolhouse 3-1. Kicking off after an early hail storm and in front of a large crowd, Rovers took the lead on eleven minutes when Atkins headed home from a corner, but that apart there was little to choose between the two sides and clear cut chances were few and far between. Soon after the interval, Rocastle ran onto a though ball and lobbed the keeper with a cool finish, but the visitors responded quickly when Brendan Burke nutmegged a defender and shot into the far corner to reduce the arrears. Despite this Schoolhouse were unable to make too many inroads towards the home goal and the game was put beyond doubt when Rocastle added his second. Rovers now need one win from their final two games to retain the title, whilst Schoolhouse must wait to take advantage of any possible slip up. In the other Premier game played, Norman Wanderer’s 4-1 (Nicky May 2, Ross Joy, and OG) win at Poringland Wanderers wasn’t enough to take them off of the bottom of the table.

William Wanderers will be playing their football in the Premier Division next season after beating 1A Runners up Costessey West End 3-2 in the play off final. William were to goals up before West End levelled the scores, but a late goal restores Wanderers lead and it was one they held on to.

The Benevolent Cup Final proved to be a dramatic encounter which went to penalties to decide the winner. Sprowston Wanderers led three times in the game against a Marlborough under 19 side that were reduced to ten men in the second half, but after the game finished 4-4 aet, Marlborough went on to win 8-7 in the shootout. Credit to both sides for providing great entertainment in front of a decent size crowd.

In the other league games played as the season gets very close to the end The Middle Green beat Micawbers Tavern by the odd goal of seven in 2A, whilst in 3B champions Norwich CEYMS were 4-2 winners at Blofield United. Tommy Atkinson and Elliot Fyans scored for the home side. Sprowston Athletic completed their season with a 3-2 home win over Harleston Town under 21’s and Newton Flotman and Scole United completed the Under 19 season with a point apiece in a 1-1 draw.

In the days were loyalty to clubs seems to be constantly on the wane, its good to be able to report on a story about Keith Penn, Secretary of Division 2A side Mettingham FC who has just received a 50 Year Service award by the Suffolk FA. For more on this great story, please go to http://www.suffolkfa.com/news/2016/apr/keith-is-shocked-by-fa-50-year-award