February 1st


This weekend’s fixture list was decimated as the recent constant heavy rain took its toll on many pitches in the Norfolk area. Credit goes to the hardy souls who braved the inclement weather to stand on the touchline.

One venue where all the scheduled fixtures went ahead was Eaton Park, where three of the second round League Cup games were played. Farmhouse entertained 1B title chasing Schoolhouse in a game that produced no goals in the first half. The home side took the lead fifteen minutes after the break when Matthew Plumstead scored from close range. Schoolhouse hit back quickly to level and then take the lead through Sam Watts and Connor Delaney, and things looked even worse for Farmhouse when they were reduced to ten men seventeen minutes from time, but a goalmouth scramble led to an own goal for the equaliser and with the game seemingly heading for extra time, Ollie Forkes fired a drive into the corner of the net to sent the home side and supporters into raptures as it proved to be the winner. Premier leaders Riverside Rovers were given a scare as they came from 3-1 down to Earlham United to take the game into extra time before eventually winning 6-4. Ben Atkins 2, Jamie Riley, Roy Bevis, Jordan Rocastle and Zak Bevis scored for Rovers whilst Scott Roberts 2 and Liam Moriarty 2 replied for United. A hat trick from Matty Elwin ensured Poringland Wanderers safe passage to the quarter finals against The POW and holders AFC Wanderers also progressed with a comfortable 4-0 (Kain Taylor 2, Rob Warminger, Robert Fryers) win against Dancing Farmers. Moles Rest reached the last eight with a 6-1 home win over Ribs Rovers.

In league action, only one game survived the weather in 1A and it saw Horsford United record a 3-2 victory over Anglian Rovers thanks to two goals from Shaun Plant and another from Joshua O’Donoughoe, whilst in 1B goals from Calvin Butler 2, Dale Simpson and Ian Babb were enough for Bell Inn  to defeat leaders William Wanderers 4-2. Although Bell are still twelve points behind the leaders, they do have six games in hand. St Faiths were 2-0 down with twenty five minutes left at Taverham Utd but stormed back as goals from Andrew Hawes, Chris Sandle, Chris Mooney, Matt Howard and Kelvin Willimott helped them to a 5-2 victory.

Dilham Cross Keys stayed in touch at the top of 2A as John Bell, Dan Duffield and Antoni Fawkes all scored in their 3-0 win at Newsman Celtic, whilst Bungay Town Res scored five times as they won at Fat Cat & Canary. In 2B, DEF FC opened up a four point gap at the top with a 5-1 win at home to Salhouse Rovers and Lakewood Utd kept up their challenge as they won by the same score at Rileys FC. Callum Speck 2, Lewis Warnes 2, George Crowe were on target for Lakewood. SDC Utd who have games in hand on all the sides above them, were 4-0 (Kevin Trueman 2, Glenn Brown, Matt Sharp) winners at home to Costessey Sports.

In 3A, The Middle Green are nine points clear at the top after a comfortable 5-1 home win over Westfield, whilst Dynamo FC will be happy getting back to winning ways as they beat an in form MC Rovers 6-1. With their nearest challengers inactive, Phoenix FC took the opportunity to move seven points clear at the top as they scored six without reply at home to Silver Fox, whilst Sporting Iceni ran out 5-2 (Danny Shafiyan 3, James Cotton, Craig Dunlevy) winners at home to Binham Village.

In the Under 19 A section Blofield United’s 3-0 (Josh Morely 3) win over Thorpe Village and Hellesdon Youths 4-0 (Billy Richardson 2, Jack Richardson, Elliott Roe) victory over Coltishall Jaguars means that with one game left Blofield must wait to see if Hellesdon win their three games in hand. If they do then Blofield will need a point in their final game….against Hellesdon, to take the title.

Marlborough FC returned to the top of the B section as they scored ten (Sebastian Bialasik 3, Jordan Wheeler 2, Jack Lincoln 2, Bradley Spooner, Adam Wilson, OG) without reply at home to Swanton Morley, whilst East Coast Warriors scored seven as they won at Coltishall Jaguars B.

The only game played in the C section saw leaders Poringland Wanderers open up a six point gap after beating Harleston Town 3-1.Luke Keeler with two goals and Matt Cook were the men on target.