Jan 10th


With this weekend seeing the Quarter Finals of the County Cups, and the heavy rain of the past week having an impact on grounds, it was a limited league programme that took place on the second Sunday of the New Year.

In the Premier Division, Acle Rangers moved to within a point of Schoolhouse at the top after Ricky Forder, Aaron Saunders and Ashley Watson all scored in a 3-0 home win over Bungay Town, whilst there was no separating Farmhouse and Dussindale Rovers as they took a point each in a 2-2 draw. Darren Parnell and Shaun Taylor netted for the home side, whilst Tom Cullumbine hit a brace for the visitors

In 1A, the top two both recorded victories. Horsford United were 6-1 (Rob Warminger 3, George Mason, Joseph Wright, William Tolliday) winners at Dancing Farmers, whilst Brooke came back from New Buckenham with a 2-0 (Ben Fowkes, Sam Page) win under their belts to remain four points behind the leaders. Dilham Cross Keys lost ground as they suffered a 5-2 defeat at Bungay Town Res, whilst Windmill Wanderers moved up to fourth after two goals from Tony Palmer and a first goal for Charlie Steward helped them to a 3-2 win over Vale Longo. Anglian Rovers moved away from the foot of the table after winning 2-1 (Will Hazel, Ben Drummee) at Sporting Longdale. Two games were played in 1B and both ended all square. Revolution FC were held at home to a 1-1 draw by Acle Rangers Res, whilst Sprowston Wanderers and Salhouse Rovers took a point each as they shared six goals. Charles Cullen, Joe Easton and Martyn Thomas were on target for Wanderers, whilst Rovers goals came from Oliver Roxby 2 and Jamie Smith.

There were doubles for Tommy Miller and Theo Chamberlin to add to a Harrison Bird goal as Mischief FC returned to the top of 2A with a 5-1 win at Constable Crusaders, and there was a welcome point for bottom side Dynamo with Lewis Eaton and Matt McGuinness scoring as they drew 2-2 with Norman Wanderers Res. Silver Fox are the new leaders of 2B. In the divisions only game, they beat Briston Wanderers 5-1 (Luke Gould 2, Kai Savage, Scott Laxton, Jordan Baston) to move three points clear at the top.

Winfarthing are three points clear in 3A after winning 5-1 at Sporting Longdale Res, and Mad Moose Res won by the odd goal of five as they visited AFC Westlegate. Arguably, the day’s biggest game came at Hellesdon where the home side welcomed Norwich Ceyms in a top of the table clash in 3B. The game ended with a 4-1 win for the home side, a result that saw the visitors lose their 100% record and now sees Hellesdon three points ahead of Ceyms who do though, have two games in hand. Barracks FC scored six (Mitchell McArdle 3, Liam Wiseman, Daniel Shevlin, Ricky Marshall) of the nine goals in their game with Hethersett Athletic Res and Harleston Town got back to winning ways with a 3-1 victory over Sporting Iceni.

Only two games survived in the Under 19’s, where in the A Division, Norwich United were 3-1 (Liam Mann, Will Hatton, Harry Tye) winners at Watton United and in Division C, Litcham beat Horsford Youth 4-0 with goals coming from Nick Hollyoak 2, Ruben Copsey and Charlie Read.

In the County Cups, Lakewood United never recovered from conceding early goals against Yarmouth side Windmill and found themselves three down at the break. Although they produced a better second half display, they only had a George Crowe goal to show for their efforts. In the all Norwich clash, goals from Ben Lemmon, Sam Grady and Fionn Goodwin Wright saw 1B leaders De FC come from behind to beat Premier division The PoW 3-1. Riverside Rovers game at Chilvers was a victim of waterlogging as was the Costessey West End v Schoolhouse game.

In the Intermediate Cup, Trimingham Pilgrims made the long trip to Labas of Thetford worthwhile with a cracking 4-1 win at Junior Cup holders Labas, whilst Phoenix FC were also victorious as they won 6-3 at Yarmouth side Acle Wanderers.

It will be four of our league sides in the Junior Cup semi finals after SNS Utd beat Danepak 6-2. Norman Wanderers U19’s grabbed the only goal of the game in the last minute of their game at Hewett Old Boys to progress and MC Rovers made it to the last four with a 4-0 win at Drayton Youth