Jan 22nd


Heavy overnight frost decimated the League programme this weekend, with only four fixtures surviving the weather.

In what was always going to be the game of the day, Premier Division leaders DE FC entertained reigning champions Riverside Rovers at the [email protected] Open, and in front of a very large crowd produced an open first half where there were decent chances for both sides. Mark Alibone put the home side ahead with a good finish from just inside the box, but Rovers responded well and produced two goals in two minutes from Roy Bevis and Aaron Kay. Just when it looked if that was the way it would be at the break, Alibone got his head onto a free kick and his effort was misjudged by the Riverside keeper as the ball sneaked into the corner of the net. The second half was just as open as the first but as the half progressed, Rovers looked the side more likely to find the winner, and with five minutes left had a glorious chance to take the points. Jordan Rocastle was brought down in the box and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. The same player took the spot kick but fired it high and wide of the net. The home side then proceeded to make the most of that reprieve, because as the game moved into stoppage time, Xavier Huckle found space twenty yards out to fire past the visiting keeper and ensure the points went to the league leaders. Good competitive game, very well handled by Warren Skoulding. The result now means that DE FC have the destiny of the title in their own hands.

In 1A, the game between Vale Longo and Bungay Town Res at Sprowston Rec went ahead and saw goals by Andy Adams and Tom Rolfe help the home side to a 2-1 victory, whilst in 1B, goals by George Edge, Liam Amos, Antoni Fawkes, Lewis Smith, Jordan Tipple, George Crane and Adam Buckenham saw third placed Trimingham Pilgrims beat Binham Village 7-1. In the only other game played today, there was a good win for Briston wanderers as Damien Williams grabbed a hat trick in their 3-1 victory at Phoenix FC