January 18th


A very cold January morning resulted in quite a few games not taking place this weekend, as some pitches fell foul of the weather.

At the third time of asking, the one remaining tie of the League Cup first round was played, and it saw Bungay Town progress after they beat Brooke 2-1. Credit goes to both sides  and the referee as they switched pitches at 9.15am and played the game at Bungay due to the Brooke pitch again being unfit to play on. Bungay will now play Sprowston Wanderers at home in the next round.

In the Premier Division, Acle Rangers bounced back from last week’s cup disappointment to win 5-1 at Sprowston Rovers. The victory keeps Acle in third spot, two points ahead of The POW for who Arron Nixon hit a hat trick in their 3-2 win over AFC Wanderers. Tom Barrett and Danny Pennall were on target for Wanderers.

Aslacton are the new leaders of 1A. Their 2-1 home win over Sporting Longdale enabled them to go above their opponents thanks to goals from Dean Mortimer and Justin Womack. Vale Longo produced a good performance to win their game at Dancing Farmers 4-3. In 1B, two games survived and both produced big wins for the home sides. League leaders William Wanderers saw the prolific Daniel Childerhouse score four goals of his side’s eight goals against St Faiths. Liam Brown, James Denmark, Robert Blowers and Darrell Delaney also scored in a win that keeps Wanderers two points ahead of Earlham Utd who have their own prolific scorer in Scott Roberts. He helped himself to a hat trick and further goals came from Liam Moriarty 2, Marcus McInerney 2, Darrell Wigger and Ben Smith as United beat Heartsease FC 9-1. Earlham have two games in hand on the leaders, and with Schoolhouse and Bell Inn still very much in touch, the second half of the season should provide an interesting spectacle.

With the game at Shipdham Rangers a victim of the weather, New Buckenham took the opportunity to open up a five point gap at the top of 2A as they scored five without reply at home to Norman Wanderers A. There was a single goal victory for Costessey West End at home to Dilham Cross Keys and Stephen Algar came off the bench to score twice in Micawbers 4-2 win at The Cottage Alex Warren and Shaun Hudson also found the net for the visitors. After a recent lean spell, Constable Crusaders got back to winning ways at Fat Cat & Canary, beating them 5-1. The top two in 2B show no signs of letting up in their bid to take the title. Leaders DEF FC were 3-0 winners at home to Briston Wanderers, whilst Revolution FC overcame goals by Luke Winter and George Bunn to beat Hethersett Athletic 4-2. Forth placed Salhouse Rovers travelled to South Norfolk and scored nine without reply against Mettingham and Kirk Appleton scored four of Rileys FC six as they defeated Costessey Sports Sunday. Mathew Daynes and Adam Simpson were also on target.

The Middle Green moved clear of Mischief FC at the top of 3A after a 5-1 win at Dynamo. Mischief, after being presented with the Leagues Sporting Award for Nov/Dec, went on to suffer their first home defeat in eighteen months at the hands of Brooke Res. I saw this entertaining game and it was the lively Simon Curtis who put the visitors ahead on fifteen minutes after he broke clear of the Mischief defence. The home side levelled within two minutes as Liam Baker volleyed home from close range, but Curtis struck again in similar fashion to his first and then Danny Webster headed home to put Brooke 3-1 up at the break. Soon after the break Luca Elia capitalised on a goalkeeping blunder to reduce the arrears, but despite both sides having chances to add to their tally, no more goals were produced, much to the delight of the visitors in a game well refereed by Jason Ding. Elsewhere in the division, GaGa stayed in contention at the top with a 5-0 (AIden Sodah 2, Sam Aldis, Sam Halsey, Dan Bowen) win at Westfield, whilst Sporting Longdale Res scored eight in their victory at Freethorpe. Rapidly improving MC Rovers produced their fifth win on the bounce after goals by Ryan Gray 2, Keelan Kindleysides, Marc Howard and a “Zola Like” flick from Luke Barber helped them to a great 6-2 win at Reedham FC. In 3B, Carl Allen, Oliver Woodhouse and Chris Howe all found the net as Hickling Barn gained ground on the leaders, winning 3-0 at Sporting Iceni. Cellar House also beat Binham Village by the same score with two goals from Wayne Norman and one from Brett Hadley. Martin Woolner hit a hat trick and there was a goal for Ryan Frankland as Salhouse Rovers Res came form behind to beat Red Lion 4-1.

In the Under 19 A division, Blofield United moved a step closer to the title as they won 3-0 (Nat D’Rosario 2, og) at Hethersett Athletic. Their cause was helped by Thorpe Village, who beat second placed Long Stratton 4-1 thanks to goals from Da Ville Katabana 2, Jimmy Katchabu and Oli Najid.

Sprowston Athletic stayed top of the B section as they had a comfortable 7-1 (Connor Green 3, Lewis Meecham 2, Mitchell Kelf,  Alfie Bale) victory at home to Drayton. Marlborough stay second with two games in hand after a 5-1 (Robert Sayer, Przemyslaw Ptak,  Mac Gee, Sebastian Bialasik 2) win over East Coast Warriors and Reepham Town, who also have two games in hand, beat Hellesdon B 2-0. Reece May hit a hat trick and Muhamod Hoqe a fourth as Norman Wanderers ran out 4-0 winners over Swanton Morley and it was good to see Wanderers praise the performance of the visiting goalkeeper.

Poringland Wanderers moved back to the top of the C section after a 3-1 win over Watton Utd. Ryan Cook, Angus Mackie and Ollie Smith all scored for the home side with Tom Rayner replying. Harleston Town scored five when beating Newton Flotman and Scole United found the net four times (Jacob Sloos 3,  Sam MacDowell) as they won at Mulbarton Wanderers