January 4th 2015


Overnight frost ensured that only twenty four games survived on the first Sunday of 2015. It has to be said though that great credit goes to those who gave their game every chance by waiting as long as possible, 11am in many cases. Some were successful, some not so lucky and in one case, Ribs Rovers and Taverham United actually put buckets of hot water onto a frozen goalmouth to get the game played at 11.15am. Well done to both sides and referee Tom Harvey.

I went to Rackheath and watched the clash of the Premier division’s top two, Riverside Rovers and Farmhouse. The visitors took a deserved early lead when Adam Plumstead struck a very good free kick into the top corner of the net. This seemed to wake the home side and they were level within ten minutes. Roy Bevis was pulled down in the area and Jordan Rocastle stepped up to level from the spot. A very good game swung from end to end, but it was the home side who stole the advantage just before half time when Ben Atkins left the Farmhouse keeper stranded with a curling left foot effort. Great reward for the player in only his second game after two years out through injury. Soon after the break Rocastle latched onto a long ball to produce a quality finish, but Farmhouse came back again and were unlucky not to reduce the arrears after a goalmouth scramble. The visitors though despite playing well, were being undone by really good finishing by the home side. Aaron Kay made it 4-1 with an angled drive, before Bevis made it five with a shot on the turn. Kay then provide the goal of the game when he “Beckham Like”(yes really) saw the keeper off his line and lobbed him with a shot from just inside his own half. Rocastle made it seven before Darren Parnell pulled a goal back. A good mornings entertainment superbly handled by referee Kevin Betts, although the scoreline a touch harsh on the visitors. The other game played in the Premier division produced ten goals but failed to provide a winner as Acle Rangers drew 5-5 with Dussindale Rovers. Ben Morgan 2, Julian Bussell, Adam Faulkes and Daniel Foreman scored for the home side, whilst Dussindale replied with goals from Tom Cullabine 2, Alex Ingham 2 and Olly Ford.

Aslacton have moved up into second spot after a 5-0 (Daniel Rout 2, Justin Womack, James Smith) home win over Dancing Farmers, whilst Horsford Utd picked up three points with Jeff Larke 2, Shaun Plant and Calum Cooper scoring as they beat Vale Longo 4-2. William Wanderers still top 1B after beating Acle Rangers Res by the odd goal of eleven. Daniel Childerhouse 4, Liam Brown and Craig Glen scored for Wanderers who stay ahead on goal difference from Schoolhouse for whom Rhys Logan hit a hat trick in their 6-1 win over Heartsease FC. Connor Delaney, Kieran Delaney and Conrad Pitkethly were also on target. Scott Roberts scored 4, Marcus McInerney 3, Liam Moriarty 2 and Ben Smith also netted as Earlham Utd put eleven past Spixworth Sunday Res, whilst despite goals from Kirk Bardsley and Jacob Dorman, Ribs Rovers went down 3-2 against Taverham Utd who had come from behind with goals from Richard Myhill, Paul Clarke and Adam Turrell.

In 2A, New Buckenham missed the chance to go top of the table after they were thumped 7-2 at home to Dilham Cross Keys who have now moved up into third spot. Scorers for Dilham were Dan Tindall 3, Antoni Fawkes 2, Darren Miller and Adam Akers. Bungay Town Res scored three of the five goals in their game at Micawbers Tavern, whilst a finish from Scott Aldridge worthy of winning any game was enough for Norman Wanderers A to take three points at The Cottage. Normans also had keeper Liam Craig to thank after a superb late save denied the home side an equaliser. DEF FC stay top of 2B after a 3-0 win over Costessey Sports and stay a point ahead of Lakewood Utd who scored the only goal of the game at SDC Utd. Revolution FC are third. Their 5-2 win at Briston included a superbly worked team goal finished by Haydn Cunningham who also scored a second. Scott Sawyer, Gavin Wigg and Craig Boyles also found the net. Salhouse Rovers after fourth after beating Locksley Ath 3-1.

The Middle Green started the New Year with an 8-2 victory at Winfarthing FC. Mischief FC stay level on points with the leaders as they scored fourteen (Theo Chamberlain 3, Liam Baker 3, Luca Elia 2, Craig Cutting 2, Lee Askew 2, Troy Grant, Matthew Payne) without reply against AFC Westlegate, whilst there was a hat trick for Simon Burns in a good 3-2 win for Reedham over an in form Dynamo FC. MC Rovers moved further away from the foot of the table after a 2-0 win at Tasburgh Utd. Phoenix FC started 2015 as they left 2014, winning. The scored six (Ellis Watts 2, Jamie Smith 2, Larry Rouse, Ryan Fisher) without reply as they overcame East Tuddenham. Matt Cartledge scored twice and John Walker also scored as Silver Fox and Hickling Barn shared six goals and the points, whilst the game between Trimingham Pilgrims and Salhouse Rovers Res was abandoned due to injury.

Although there were two games that survived the weather in the Under 19’s, only one was completed. Ryan Beeson 2, Charlie Holmes and Grant Johnson scored for North Walsham as the battled out a 4-4 draw with Long Stratton