March 15th


This weekend saw the quarter finals of the League Cup take place and it brought about some entertaining games. Aslacton provided the result of the round as they knocked out last years winners AFC Wanderers. beating them 2-0. Ed Lake and Justin Womack scored for the 1A side. After suffering a setback to their title challenge last week, Farmhouse bounced back to form as they beat league leaders Riverside Rovers 3-2 to take their place in the last four. Tommy Want, Ollie Forkes and Tommy Salmon scored for the home side, whilst Jordan Rocastle hit a double in reply. 1A leaders Bungay Town gave Acle Rangers a run for their money, taking them to extra time before eventually losing 2-1

In the Premier Division, The PoW moved up into third spot with a 2-0 (Chris Holmes 2) victory at Spixworth Sunday, whilst Norman Wanderers recorded a 2-1 win over Sprowston Rovers. Colin Wines had given Normans the lead before Rovers levelled from the spot through Drew Collins before half time. The score remained the same until injury time when Rovers hit the post, but Jason Armes went straight up the other end to score the winner for Normans

With the top two in 1A in cup action, game of the day in that division saw Dancing Farmers entertain Sporting Longdale. The visitors went in at the break two goals up, but Farmers stormed back in the second period to score nine times (Nick Aston 3, Dan King 3, Luke Jeal, Nick Bliss, Aiden Boast) and leapfrog their opponents into third spot. Horsford Utd travelled to Brooke FC and gained a point thanks to a Kieran Staff goal in a 1-1 draw and a single Aaron James goal was enough for Windmill Wanderers to take the points at DCS Rapid. Norman Wanderers won by the odd goal of five at Mad Moose and Vale Longo did their survival chances a power of good with a 3-2 (Jatinder Dhaliwal, Steve Churchill, Scott Abbs)  win at Anglian Rovers. In 1B, Schoolhouse all but clinched the title with a 4-0 (Oliver Thompson, Sam Watts, Jack Smith, Chris Hall) win at Taverham Utd. Only Bell Inn, 2-1 (Ashley Burton, Calvin Butler) winners over Ribs Rovers, can technically catch them, but it would need them to win all their remaining games by a large margin and for Schoolhouse not to get a point in their last three games. Highly unlikely you would feel. Earlham United completed their fixtures with a 3-1 (Scott Roberts 2, OG) win at St Faiths and are currently second, but they must now wait to see if Bell Inn win three of their remaining four games to deny them a play off spot.

Costessey West End moved three points clear at the top of 2A after winning 4-0 at Fat Cat & Canary. Second placed New Buckenham were held to a 3-3 draw by Shipdham Rangers, Harley Durrant 2 and Gareth Hobley scored for the home side with Olly Ramsbotham, Mark Allibone and Craig McKerrell replying. Dilham Cross Keys are a point behind New Buckenham after winning 4-1 (Dan Tindall 2, Jamie Clarke, Darren Miller) at Micawbers Tavern and must be confident of at least a top two finish as they have games in hand. Constable Crusaders took a good point in a 2-2 (Tom Lansdale, Liam Frost) draw at Bungay Town, whilst at The Cottage, Chris Collins scored the only goal of their game with Ketts Tavern Wizards. Lakewood Utd moved to within two points of 2B leaders DEF FC with a 3-0 win at Costessey Sports. A win from their last two games will see them take the title. Revolution FC look set to finish in third spot after winning 8-2 (Billy Cunningham 3, Lewis Franklin 3, Craig Wright, Ed Kettle) at Locksley Athletic, whilst a Dan Smith hat trick helped Mettingham FC to take a point in a 3-3 draw with SDC Utd.

The Middle Green have one hand on the 3A title after a 3-1 win at Westfield FC. They now just need a point from their final four games to make sure. As it happens, they face nearest rivals Gaga FC next week. GaGa themselves kept in contention by winning 4-3 (Sam Aldis, Daniel Bowen, Aaron Sodah, Ali Z) at MC Rovers. They stay four points clear of third place Mischief FC who scored eleven (Adam Yaxley 3, Craig Cutting 3, Luca Ella 2, Ed Myers, Gary Curtis, Matt Payne) without reply at Tasburgh Utd, but Mischief have a game in hand. Dynamo continued their good second part of the season as Adam Preston scored all of his sides goals in the 4-0 at Freethorpe, whilst Brooke Res had a good 7-3 victory at Sporting Longdale Res. Winfarthing moved up a place near the bottom of the table after beating Reedham FC 3-1. With one game left, Phoenix still top 3B after a 3-1 (Josh Nash, George Tallent James Melton) home win over a Hethersett Athletic Res who felt they were worth a point. Trimingham Pilgrims, who have a game in hand, remain four points behind after a 3-1 George Crane 2, Jeff Meggeson) win at Cellar House and fourth placed Silver Fox were 4-2 (Jason Lambert 3, OG) winners over East Tuddenham. Salhouse Rovers Res will be happy with their 4-1 (Martin Woolner 2, Ryan Frankland, Kel Haywood) win at Sporting Iceni.

In the Under 19 A section, the only game played saw Long Stratton score five without reply at home to Beccles Caxton.

In the B division, Champions Marlborough scored eleven (James Cooper 5, Jordan Wheeler 2, Bradley Spooner, Mac Gee, Adam Wilson,  Jack Lincoln) whilst winning at Swanton Morley and Sprowston Athletic finished their season by making sure of second spot with a 3-0 win over Norman Wanderers. jack Dearden was again on target as Drayton took a point at Reepham Town for whom Lewis Plumstead scored in a 1-1 draw and Litcham had a 3-1 win over Hellesdon Youth B.

With the news that Freethorpe U19’s had withdrawn, the C division looks even tighter than before for the two top spots. Attleborough Town moved to a point of leaders Poringland Wanderers by winning 7-1 at Harleston Town. Attleborough have two games in hand on the leaders. Wymondham Town went down to a 4-0 (Tom Rayner 2, Lewis Hart, Ty Bond) home defeat against Watton Utd and Newton Flotman were 4-1 winners over Mulbarton Wanderers.