March 1st


On a busy day for football, this weekend saw the Semi Finals of the County Cup competitions take place and it brought mixed fortunes for our clubs. In the Senior Cup, Riverside Rovers never really got going after conceding two early goals and were beaten 4-1 by El Sol from the Yarmouth League, whilst Schoolhouse, after making the trip to Kings Lynn, came from behind to take a 2-1 against Chilvers. The home side though scrambled an equaliser to take the game into extra time, but the referee abandoned the game early in the extra time period due to an incident and we now await a decision from the County Cup committee.

There was great news for the League in the Intermediate Cup. Salhouse rovers reached the final with a 2-1 win over Windmill Reserves from Yarmouth and will now meet fellow Norwich side Dilham Cross Keys who were 4-1 victors over Litchfield Arms. In the Junior Cup, well done to Harleston Town U19’s. They reached the final after beating last seasons beaten finalists Mischief FC in a penalty shootout and will now face Labas FC from Thetford in the final after they inflicted a first defeat of the season on 3A leaders The Middle Green.

In League matters, there was a minutes silence for a long standing AFC Wanderers supporter who was tragically killed recently. AFC send their thanks to opponents Spixworth and to the ref for the respect shown. The game itself finished in a 1-1 draw. Andy Franklin scored for the home side, whilst Kain Howard replied for AFC with what was described as a screamer. In the divisions other game played, Sprowston Rovers recorded a 2-1 victory over Norman Wanderers.

Aslacton are back on top of 1A after a Dean Mortimer hat trick, a Justin Womack double and an Adam Edwards strike helped them to a 6-1 win over Brooke FC. Despite an own goal and goals by Jordan Palmer and Gary Walsh, Windmill Wanderers lost to a late goal at Sporting Longdale, going down 4-3, and Anglian Rovers were 3-0 winners at Vale Longo. The one game played in 1B saw Earlham Utd enhance their promotion challenge as the won 7-3 at second placed William Wanderers. Marcus McInerny grabbed a hat trick Darrell Wigger a double with Ashley Davies and Tom Blanch also scoring for Earlham, whilst the home side replied through a Dan Childerhouse brace and James Bennett.

Costessey West End moved four points clear at the top of 2A after a 5-1 win against bottom side Fat Cat & Canary and Micawbers Tavern scored six of the nine goals in their game with Ketts Tavern Wizards. Newsman Celtic will be happy enough as they recorded a 3-1 (Chris Durrant, David Powles, Jamie Marrison) win at Norman Wanderers A. In 2B, Lakewood Utd closed the gap on DEF FC to seven points with three games in hand as they beat Costessey Sports 4-2 with Matt Collier, Craig McKail Jordan Crane and George Crowe all on target, whilst SDC Utd came back from Briston Wanderers with three points in the bag courtesy of a 2-0 win, goals coming from Jim Wright and Phil Clyne.

In 3A, GaGa missed the chance to put real daylight between themselves and third place Mischief as they were held to a 1-1 (Sam Aldis) draw at Dynamo. MC Rovers got back to winning ways by beating AFC Westlegate 3-1 and Reedham FC won their “local derby” with Freethorpe FC, 3-0. In 3B, Hickling Barn moved back up to second spot after scoring twenty one times against Felthorpe.

In the Under 19 A section, Hellesdon Youth completed their league fixtures with a 3-0 home win over Hethersett Athletic whilst there were four goals for Ryan Beeson and further strikes from Grant Johnson, Adam Johnson and new signing Dan Crosby as North Walsham won 7-2 at Coltishall Jaguars.

Just like the old days, its congratulations to Marlborough who clinched the B division title after a twelve (James Cooper 5, Jordan Wheeler 2, Bradley Spooner 2, Sebastian Bialasik, Alex Philpott, Jack Lincoln) goal thumping of Coltishall Jaguars B. Norman Wanderers Youth continued their good recent form to move up to third spot after a 3-1 win over East Coast Warriors.

Norwich United Youth moved up to second spot in the C division after scoring eight (Orren Oliver 2, Jordan Gray 2, Steven Bird, Adam Thorley,   Augusto SantaMaria, og) without reply at Mulbarton. Wymondham Town were 2-1 winners at Scole United and Watton United won 2-0 at Newton Flotman.