May 10th



Glorious sunshine greeted both teams and a sizeable crowd for this the 51st N.D.S.L/Copy IT League Cup Final.

Poringland kicked off proceedings and almost immediately, Daniel Burrett found himself free inside the Acle area only to shoot over from a good position.  Acle were next to threaten as Julian Bussell was inches away from connecting with a dangerous cross. A flowing move from Poringland, saw fullback Andy Skipper exchange passes with Matthew Elwin before sliding his shot wide of the mark.  Good work again from Elwin provided Daniel Cook with another good opportunity but again the effort failed to find the target.

On the half hour mark, a melee inside the Acle box saw keeper Scott Foreman pick up what looked like a serious injury, thankfully after prolonged treatment he was able to continue. As the half drew to a close, Acle broke the deadlock when from a corner by Ben Morgan, Ricky Forder stole in and planted a firm header into the back of the Poringland net. On 45 minutes Poringland’s task became that much harder when they had a player dismissed from the field of play and in added time Acle almost double their advantage as two efforts, well saved by Lee Edwards, Poringlands custodian, to keep his team in the hunt.

Half time score Acle Rangers 1 – Poringland Wanderers 0

As Acle restarted the game, Poringland had it all to do with a depleted side, however they were not letting Acle have it all their own way and after good work by Daniel Burrett down the right his centre saw Tom Pitchell fire over from the edge of the area. Few clear cut chances were being created, however on 63 minutes Acle’s Sam Barham had a free header that failed to test the keeper as Rangers look to add to their lead, Perry Kelf then fizzed a long range effort just over the bar as Acle increased the pressure.  Poringland were continuing to give it their all despite Acle’s numerical advantage and a Matthew Cook cross cum shot brought the best out of Acle keeper Foreman as he acrobatically tipped the ball over the bar.  Going in to the last 10 minutes Acle started to create chances, when first a Forder header brought an excellent save from Edwards, then a Davis effort saw Edwards produce yet another fine stop. Acle continued to press forward as Poringland’s exertions began to take their toll and shots from both Morgan and sub Darren Ward just failed to find the target. The dangerous Forder then crashed a stinging shot against the bar, with Acle looking to finish the game on a high.

As referee Matt Carpenter brought proceedings to a close Acle were worthy winners on the day, as they lifted the trophy for the third time in five seasons, but full credit goes to Poringland who had also contributed to an entertaining encounter.

Poringland’s Daniel Burrett was voted man of the match.

 Full time score Acle Rangers 1- Poringland Wanderers 0