This weekend saw the first round of the League Cup take place on a morning that was damp and gloomy, but saw some cracking encounters take place.

In probably the tie of the round, Div 2 leaders Woolpack FC took a first half lead against reigning League champions Riverside Rovers, when Chris Holmes scored with a neat finish, but shortly before the break Jordan Rocastle latched onto a long ball played in behind the home defence to beat the keeper. A similar goal from the same player put Rovers 2-1 ahead, before they were reduced to ten men, but despite the reduction in numbers a trade mark Arron Kay goal made it 3-1 and that’s how the game finished. Longdale Rovers probably produced the result of the round as they won by the odd goal of nine at DE FC, whilst Trimingham Pilgrims will be pleased with their 3-1 victory at The Middle Green. Farmhouse scored four (Stephen Blake 2, Darren Parnell, Robert Warminger) without reply as they beat Mettingham and Poringland Wanderers progressed to the next round after coming from two down to beat Bungay Town 4-2 ( Ben Fowkes, Chris Lay Martin Stone, Keiran Leggett) after extra time. Sprowston Wanderers also scored four (Daniel Childerhouse 2, James Denmark, Ben Moon) as they beat Horsford and Aslacton did the same when winning at Mad Moose. Craig McKail and Benedict Potts scored for Hewett OB’s as they won 2-0 at Hellesdon, whilst Owen Page 4, James Daniels 3, Nick Aston and Ben Nichols all scored as Brooke went through at the expense of Sprowston Ath Wildcats. A single goal was enough for Phoenix to defeat Marlborough and Windmill Wanderers advanced after a 3-2 win at Barracks. Drayton Dazzlers scored seven times when beating Briston FC and despite taking the lead through Joe Bickel, Hethersett Ath went down to a last minute winner from Kevin Brown as Vale Longo hit back to win 3-2. Nick Benfield was the other Hethersett scorer whilst Callum Warnock and an OG also made the Longo score sheet. The Norman Wanderers v Mischief tie was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, whilst Acle Rangers received a walkover.

In Division 3, Dynamo, who suffered a heavy defeat last time out visited league leaders Brooke Res and produced a much better performance but still went down 2-1. DCS Rapid though, lost ground on the leaders as they could only score four of the ten goals in their game at Hempnall. MC Rover’s good form continued with a 6-1 win over Newsman Celtic and Silver fox also stay in touch after winning 5-1 at Harleston Town. Norman Wanderers A produced a good result when beating in form Bungay Town Res 4-1 and its well done to East Tuddenham who gained their first victory of the season, beating Acle Rangers Res 3-2.

A 3-1 win at Cellar House saw Division 4 leaders AFC Norwich remain three points clear of Hethersett Ath Res who themselves won 4-0 at Sporting Iceni. Ian Beeden 2, Matt Billing 2, Craig Beeden, James Savage and an OG were the scorers as FC Viking beat Rackheath Rangers 7-1 and Eaton Park Corinthians had a narrow 3-2 home win over Woodton United. Kuriakos Kuriakof hit a hat trick as Rose Athletic Res gained a point in a 3-3 draw at Nelson Athletic.

In Division 5, Devin Blundell hit five as leaders Easton put a dozen past FC Viking Res, whilst Aylsham hit seven without reply as they beat AG Athletic. Qube FC and Ashill took a point apiece after a 3-3 draw.

In the Under 19’s, Scole United remain a point clear at the top after beating Cringleford 6-2, whilst second placed Old Catton won 2-1 at Hellesdon. Hethersett Ath and St Andrews drew 2-2 whilst Acle Rangers were 4-0 (Daniel Mattyasovsky, Jack Hendrey, Matthew Fulcher, Louis Jeffery)victors at Heigham Park Rangers.