This weekend saw our league provide seven of the eight semi finalists in this seasons County Senior and Junior Cups and the games provided us with a morning of high drama.

In the Senior Cup, Riverside Rovers travelled to old rivals Acle Rangers and both sides proceeded to produce a barn storming cup tie. Rovers took the lead midway through the first period when Aaron Kay produced one of his trademark free kicks to put his side ahead, but the lead lead didn’t last too long as Aaron Saunders fired home a cracking drive from the edge of the box to level the scores. The game flowed from end to end with both sides creating and missing chances, until deep into the second half when Shaun Sandell put the home side ahead with a good finish but as was the case in the first half, a lead was quickly snuffed out when Connor Delaney equalized. Still both teams attacked and both had goals disallowed and the game went into extra time and then to the drama of the dreaded penalty shoot out. Drama is the correct word. After Riverside had missed two penalties and Acle one, the Acle keeper then saved what would have been a third only for the linesman to signal for a retake which was duly dispatched. The home side then proceeded to miss two themselves and Riverside took full advantage to book their place at Carrow Rd. Cracking mornings entertainment but you have to feel for the home side as nobody deserved to lose. In the other semi final, Woolpack failed to make it an all Norwich final as they went down 1-0 at Yarmouth side El Sol. Woolpack went down to ten men after a straight red in the second half for one of their players and El Sol to advantage to score late on to go through.

In the Junior Cup, Aylsham Sunday will be kicking themselves after missing two penalties as they went down to a single goal against Silver Fox and the Division 2 leaders will now face the runaway leaders of Division 3 in the final after Watton United were 4-1 winners at AFC Norwich.

In the league, the only game played in the Premier Division saw Phoenix FC and Horsford FC share the points and six goals, whilst in Division 1, Mischief took advantage of Woolpack’s cup commitments to move back to the top of the table after a big win over Mad Moose. Aslacton are third after scoring nine without reply at Hethersett Athletic whilst Windmill Wanderers won by the odd goal of five at Brooke Res.

There were certainly no signs of away day blues in Division 2 as in the four games played, it was the visitors that took the points. FC Viking scored five when Dynamo and Bungay Town moved up to fourth after winning 2-0 at Hempnall. DCS Rapid won by the same score at Newsman Celtic and Norman Wanderers A were 3-0 winners at East Tuddenham.

In Division 3, there was another win for improving Cellar House, this time 5-3 over Nelsons Athletic, whilst Eaton Park Corinthians beat Woodton Utd 3-2, and Sporting Iceni also won by the same score when they visited FC Viking Res.

Long Stratton missed a great opportunity to close the gap on Division 4 leaders Moose Park Rangers after they were held to a 1-1 draw at Mulbarton Wanderers. Cringleford scored they only goal of the game at Cherry tree FC and there was a good 4-0 win for Old Catton over Hellesdon. In the battle of the bottom two, there was a welcome win for Felthorpe as they overcame Yelverton 4-3.